Not on everyone’s to do list when visiting New York, this is one for those adrenaline junkies that appreciate the great outdoors and love to challenge themselves. This isn’t the hardest one to climb, however the variety in terrains and views makes this one of my favourites. It’s also the tallest mountain in New York, while some sections are particular steep. Read on for my guide and my top tips on how to climb Mount Marcy.
How Difficult Is It To Climb?
This would fit into the ‘moderate’ section, meaning it isn’t one for new starters, but you also don’t have to be overly worried about danger. It’s a 5,343 foot mountain, while different trails are at different levels of complexity, meaning you can pick the one to suit you.
When Is Best To Go?
The most popular times to visit are between April and October, but be aware that in October in the last few years there has been a lot of rain in the area, meaning it can make it that little bit colder, so pack for cold snaps.
If you visit during the winter, the temperature can drop drastically, so bring a LOT of warm clothing.
How Long Will It Take?
While you will see some camping out, most get the entire trip done in a day. The length each way depends on which journey you take, mixing between 7-9 miles, so 14-18 miles all-round.
- Refill your water bottle at the Indian Falls, as there aren’t really any streams after this and the last thing you want is to get dehydrated and be all out of liquid options.
- Check the weather forecast and conditions from Mountain-Forecast to make sure you are prepared for what is to come.
- Stick to the pathways. There are some rare vegetation which are getting wiped out by people walking on the land, while when you reach the snowy areas, it can be dangerous if you stray from the path.
What To Pack?
- Pack plenty of water
- Snacks to keep you going
- clothing for all different temperatures but especially for the cold
- A map of the area
- A decent backpack which removes the weight from the key areas.
- Consider cooking equipment & matches
- If you plan on staying, sleeping bag and tent
- A small medi kit
How Much Should My Bag Weigh?
This is a complex question as the best answer is the lightest possible while not forgetting anything. 90% of the time we pack more than we need, however it is best to be safe than sorry.
“A backpack for a weekend trip should usually weigh between 8-10kg”. I like to keep to around 6-10kg, but it is so easy for mine to start quite a lot heavier with snacks and for that weight to drop as I go. What can I say, I’m a fan of snacking!
How Busy Does It Get?
Approximately 20,000 people made the journey in the year 2,000, however the vast majority will visit during the warm winter months, therefore this is all dependent on when you’d like to visit. Expect June and July to be considerably more busy, but you still won’t see huge crowds.
As the mountain is suited to a greater skill and experience level, the people who visit tend to have a similar mindset so it can work quite well.
Once you’re all done and back at your hotel, you might also want to have a read of my list of things to do in New York.